Scarves for Kids

We live above the snowline now, and my toddler needs a scarf to keep his neck warm while he plays in the snow. Problem? I have enough trouble keeping my scarf on, how is a toddler supposed to manage it? I could just see him taking off the scarf and leaving it someplace weird just because wearing it was inconvenient. Still, I had to try.

I decided to look for patterns on Ravelry for animal themed scarves. I'm not sure why, but two patterns came up (among others) in the search that were women's Aran neck cuffs. A warm, fuzzy, woolen light bulb went off above my head: Neck Gaiters.

In short order, I have made two scarves for my son--the first being a prototype. Both are about half the length of a normal scarf for a child that size (scarves are generally about the same length as the height of the person wearing them). They have buttons at one end and buttonholes at the other. They are short enough not to be in the way, but keep his neck nice and warm. The button closure helps keep the scarf on more securely and makes its removal a little more labor-intensive. I'm hopeful this idea will make bundling up my little guy a little easier for the rest of the winter.

Thus far, the second one has worked well. Mostly, this is because it has one button, while the first one has two. My son just can't stand still long enough for me to fasten both buttons. Here's my pattern:

Materials:
less than 100 yards bulky weight yarn (I used one strand worsted and one strand light-weight mohair)
US size 10.5 needles
Cable needle
one 3/4-inch button, and needle and thread with which to sew it on

CO 15, and k 6 rows even.

Pattern Row 1 and all odd numbered rows (WS): K3, p9, k3
Row 2 (RS): K3, sl 3 onto a cable needle and hold in front, k3, k3 from cable needle, k to end.
Rows 4 and 6: K
Row 8: K6, sl 3 onto a cable needle and hold in back, k3, k3 from cable needle, k to end.
Rows 10 and 12: K
Rep these twelve rows until piece is long enough to fit comfortably around an adult neck (plenty of room to grow!). The cable will look like a braid.
K 6 rows even, and bind off.

Attach a button to one end in the middle, just above the garter stitch border. Use a cable crossing on the other end as a button hole.

Comments