Saturday, July 12, 2014

Interweave Crochet, summer 2014 issue

Kathryn Vercillo's article about Vicki Sulfaro and Healing Through Crochet, along with Samantha Nerove's article about Combat Crochet brought crochet full circle for me:  When I first learned to crochet, it seemed that many folks considered the craft to be historically for injured people during their convalescence, keeping brain-injured people occupied, soothing for shell-shocked soldiers, and, of course, for old women churning out an embarrassing number of doilies that set the neighbors to gossip.  As a child, I did not know any of that.  I just liked the power of working one stitch at a time, the basic complexity, and the process.  As we work to heal in a world of pain, it is good to see crochet taking its traditional place again along with all its modern creativity.  I haven't seen the blog about this issue refer to these articles, yet.

No comments: