Crochet a Device Cover/Pouch - Free Pattern

I've updated this free pattern.  Go to the bottom to download a Free PDF of these instructions!


Crochet a Tablet Cover/Pouch
Finished pouch waiting for tucking in loose ends

My tablet was bouncing around naked for the longest time, until I realized that was risky to its safety and well-being.  I was lucky it hadn’t gotten all scuffed up.  So the other day, I decided to make a cover, or pouch, for it.  And this is what I made.

There are lots of patterns out there for device covers, but here’s what I wanted for mine:
1. It would protect my device reasonably
2. It would be quick to make, using stuff I have on hand
3. It would be pretty brainless

Well, I had some Red Heart worsted weight acrylic yarn, and a hook to go with it.  Any hook in the G- to I- range would have been fine.  I used my #7/4.5 mm hook.  A pin to use as a marker is optional.  If I wanted to make one for my cell phone, I'd probably use a DK or sport weight yarn and a hook in the E- to G- range.

Gauge isn’t that important here:  The hook should be not so small it splits the yarn; not so big the fabric is too loose.  The important thing is a sturdy-enough fabric to fit the device.  Since the pattern stitch has lots of chain stitches in it, gauge can be tricky because some folks chain tightly and others chain loosely.  The point is to make a fabric that works. 

The thick worsted weight yarn puts enough space between the tablet and the rest of reality that the tablet is fairly safe from the slings and arrows of everyday stuff, even if the pattern stitch is open and lacy.

It’s handy to have the device right there, to measure against, which is what I did.  If you don’t have the device, though, it might work to find out how wide and tall it is, and cut out a piece of scrap paper that size -- that is a theoretical suggestion, and I'm not sure how true it is.

Abbreviations:
ch:  Chain stitch
sc:  Single crochet
( ): Instructions in parentheses mean you do what is in the parentheses as many times as it says right after the ( ). 

The pattern stitch is a ch3 net stitch.  That means: make a base of chain-3 loops, and in each round, working in a coil, chain 3 and single crochet into a ch-3 space.

Starting in the center (the yellow bit), with
increases lining up across the middle.
This pattern is a variation of my favorite shopping bag.  So here is what I did:

1.  Starting at the middle of the bottom of the pouch, ch3.  Sc into the last chain from the hook, to make a ring.  (That’s the yellow in the picture.)

2.  Continue in a coil:  (Ch3, sc into the ring) 4 times – 4 chain spaces made.

3.  Ch3, sc in next ch3 space.  (Ch3, sc into the same space) 3 times more – to make the first  increase point.  (Ch3, sc in next ch3 space) 2 times.  (Ch3, sc in same sp) 3 times more – to make the second increase point.

Notice the MIDDLE ch3 loop of each increase point.  That’s where the increase goes in the next round.

4.  Continue in pattern as set, increasing in the middle loop of each increase point, until the piece stretches to be almost as wide as the device.  For a small device that might be just a round or two, not much.

Finished the base, plus a couple rounds with no increases. 
The line across the middle shows where the increases line up.
Notice that the increases line up -- there's a line across the middle of the piece in this picture.  That makes the base of the pouch, at the bottom.  I stress this because being comfortable reading your stitches makes crocheting much easier to understand and enjoy.

It looks really baggy and a bit short.
5. Continue in the pattern stitch, but with no more increases, until the piece stretches to be almost the height of the device.  Left on its own, without stretching, the piece is much wider than the device and reaches about ¾ of  the height.

6. Optional:  Attach a pin to the last ch3 loop made, if needed, to mark the end of the round.

7. To make the top snug:  (ch1, sc1 in next ch space) all the way around 1 time.  This draws it in, makes the opening just barely big enough to slide over the device.

8. For a nice finishing touch, do 1 round of light crab stitch (sc in reverse – that is, going from left to right – and ch1) all the way around.  This brings in the top edge so that it is snug around the device.

9. Remove the pin/marker, if you used one.  Finish off, and tuck in the loose ends.

The pouch is a bit saggy around the device, so it doesn’t push any buttons on its own.  The decrease at the top makes the pouch snug to slide on and off the device.

This is what I wanted, it works, and I am happy with it.  If this is the kind of thing you’re looking for, I hope you’re happy with yours, too.



To download a PDF of these instructions, follow this link!

Comments