Basic Gloves

I'm making a pair of gloves for my 12yo son.  The pattern I found is a basic glove pattern, using worsted weight yarn, from an old pattern booklet. The pattern has been reproduced at Free Vintage Knitting, and looks like it was originally intended for knitters who made items to donate to military personnel. 


This pattern is delightfully easy, both in the reading and in the knitting. It works up fast, because it's worked on worsted yarn.  There's no need for stitch markers to mark the increase points for the thumb gusset, because the stitch on either side of the increases is purled. The increases themselves are just knitting into the front and back, with no concern about directionality.


The fingers are also simplified, in that the pattern provides approximate finger lengths, as well as telling you how far from the fingertip the decreases should start. It also suggests using the loose ends on the fingers to reinforce the fingertips, which I thought was an interesting idea.

I'm using the smallest of the three sizes provided in the pattern, and the gloves fit me (my hands are the same size as my son's), so the small is about a woman's medium. I did alter the pattern slightly, in that I used twisted rib for the cuff instead of a normal 1x1 rib.


The only confusing thing is that needle sizing has changed a little over time. The pattern calls for 4mm needles, but calls them a size 5.

Between being easy, fast, and thick, these gloves are perfect for first-time glove knitters, last-minute gift knitters, and charity knitters wanting to make several pair. 


This post has been linked to Busy Monday, Inspire Me Monday, Wow Me Wednesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Heartsie Girl, Thursday Favorite Things, Friendship Friday, Happiness is Homemade, and Stitchin' Mommy.

Comments